I didn't want to purchase a kit but opted for images I had floating around in my head to point the way for planning the structure. I'd like it to have a Colonial feel to it - hopefully:)
So, I started building in February (flying by the seat of my pants), the following posts show my progress of the last few months. It has been a blast putting this together!
The next step was to design and cut out the window pieces. The frames were glued together and painted. Each window has a piece of extremely thin Plexiglas installed between the frames.
With the windows and shutters installed I began to apply the siding. Each siding strip was a piece of heavy chipboard measuring 11" x .5" (previously painted). The WORST part of putting up the siding was cutting each piece to fit around the various angles of each window. I put in a few hours each day but it took weeks to finish! There probably was a better way to tackle this step but it's done, what a relief to get that over with.
Installing the shingles was a lot more fun than doing the siding! Each of the 2000+ shingles was cut out and glued on individually. It was a very ZEN experience, tunes playing in the background, cat purring under the table. I enjoyed this part♥
During the summer I have been working on the interior flooring, pictures coming soon!